Forum

Luke Appling Jersey November 08, 2018 11:00 PM

By : dan

SAN DIEGO (AP) — For a player who was without a job in April Paul Konerko Jersey , Clay Buchholz is performing like a mainstay.Buchholz pitched a five-hitter, David Peralta hit a three-run homer and the Arizona Diamondbacks beat the San Diego Padres 5-1 on Thursday night in the opener of a four-game series.A minor league free agent signing in May, Buchholz (6-2) allowed a leadoff double to Travis Jankowski but retired the next 13 batters he faced. Hunter Renfroe homered in the eighth before Buchholz retired the side in the ninth en route to his 10th career complete game and his first since 2015.“It felt good,” Buchholz said. “It has been a little bit since I threw a complete game. I didn’t have my changeup, so to do that when you only have a couple of pitches to go to was pretty special.”Buchholz struck out six and did not walk a batter in improving to 3-0 in three career starts at Petco Park. He has won five of his last six starts.“I felt like we had a little bit of a cushion and we could make that decision to stretch him out a little bit,” Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo said. “I told him he was on a short leash before the ninth inning started and he said he felt really good. The shape of his pitches and the command of his pitches to the first batter told me he was OK.”Lovullo was a coach with the Red Sox when Buchholz emerged as a promising young pitcher and threw a no-hitter in his second career start.“We hoped this is what we would get from him,” Lovullo said. “From the first bullpen session, we knew there was still something special left in him.”Arizona staked Buchholz to an early lead. Peralta belted a 3-0 pitch from Jacob Nix into the center-field seats as part of a five-run first. Alex Avila added a two-run single in the inning.“I don’t think I’ve done that on a 3-0 pitch before. I just took a chance,” Peralta said. “It went well and we got the lead early http://www.whitesoxfanproshop.com/authentic-carlos-rodon-jersey , which is good. You have to find ways to win, and Buchholz did an unbelievable job.”In his second major league start, Nix (1-1) allowed the first five Arizona batters to reach base and was removed from the game after hitting Jon Jay. Nix gave up five runs on five hits and walked five with one strikeout.“Sometimes there’s a learning process involved, especially as quickly as we’ve brought him and a couple other guys here,” Padres manager Andy Green said. “He has good stuff. He’s going to throw well.”Kazuhisa Makita replaced Nix to finish the first and pitched three more scoreless innings for his longest career outing.“I gave up a couple soft hits and walked a couple guys after I got a little frustrated, and next thing you know I was out of the game,” Nix said. “Everybody in here has had tough days, and it’s part of it. It’s not my first, not my last Nellie Fox Jersey , and I’m not the last guy it’s going to happen to.”Arizona has won its last five games at Petco Park. The complete game is Arizona’s second of the season. Patrick Corbin tossed a complete game on April 17 against San Francisco.TRAINER’S ROOMDiamondbacks: 3B Jake Lamb had successful surgery on his left shoulder on Thursday. Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo said the surgery went as expected and Lamb should be ready for spring training in 2019.Padres: RHP Trey Wingenter exited the game after a line drive struck him in the back.UP NEXTDiamondbacks: LHP Robbie Ray (3-2, 4.83) takes the mound for the Arizona in the second of the four-game series. Ray has allowed two or fewer runs in three of his last four starts.Padres: LHP Joey Lucchesi (6-6, 3.45) gets the call for San Diego. Lucchesi had made three starts against Arizona this season and taken the loss each time. DETROIT — Justin Verlander can expect a warm welcome Monday night when he pitches against his former team, the Detroit Tigers, for the second time in his career and first time in Comerica Park.Verlander (14-9, 2.73 ERA) remains a popular figure in Detroit even after the Tigers dealt him away at the waiver trade deadline last year. It was a trade he agreed to only at the last minute as his desire to pitch for a championship team overcame his reluctance to leave the franchise where he made his bones as a major league pitcher.“I am sure he had this series marked on his calendar for a while,” Detroit catcher James McCann told reporters. “Regardless of what we did to him last time. You know he’s going to want to come out and pitch well, coming back to Comerica.Article continues below ...He has faced his ex-team just once so far and it didn’t go so well for him.Detroit visited Houston earlier this year and pounded the ace of the World Series champions for four home runs among six hits good for six runs (one unearned) on July 15. Verlander took the loss but struck out 12 in six innings and didn’t walk a batter.Since his first appearance against Detroit, Verlander is 5-4 with a 3.93 ERA in his last nine starts.The Astros head to Detroit after losing 6-5 at Boston on Sunday night on a walk-off single by Red Sox pinch-hitter Mitch Moreland. Houston is 89-54 and 2 1/2 games ahead of Oakland in the AL West while Detroit (59-84) is riding out the rest of the season http://www.whitesoxfanproshop.com/authentic-harold-baines-jersey , though it is 6-3 in its last nine games.“It will be a completely different animal the first time I go back to Comerica,” Verlander said in July.He will be opposed by left-hander Francisco Liriano, who at this time a year ago was pitching for the Astros.Liriano (4-9, 4.90) faced Houston in the other series against the Astros but did not figure in the decision during a start in which worked three innings, giving up a run on one hit with three walks and three strikeouts.Liriano picked up his first win since April 28 on Tuesday against the Chicago White Sox when he allowed three runs, on seven hits in 5.0 innings.For his career, Liriano is 2-1 with a 4.37 ERA over four starts against the Astros.Rookie left fielder Christin Stewart can expect to get his first major league at-bat against Verlander after being called up to Detroit on Sunday when his team (Toledo) was eliminated by Durham from the International League playoffs. He hit .264 with 23 home runs and 77 RBI for the Mud Hens.“That’s one of the things we’ve been waiting for,” said manager Ron Gardenhire of the Tigers. “He’s going to play a lot this month. He’s going to get a lot of swings. He’s part of the future.“I want him playing (left field). I don’t want him DHing.”Also called up from Toledo by Detroit were veteran Jarrod Saltalamacchia, who will give the Tigers a third catcher Luke Appling Jersey , plus right-handed reliever Zac Reininger.Another pitcher or two will be called up by Detroit soon but Gardenhire declined to identify them because they haven’t been told yet. He said another infielder might be brought up if shortstop Jose Iglesias is unable to return from an abdominal strain.At least one of the pitchers is joining the rotation, the manager said, and Detroit will be going to a six-man rotation at that point.“I’ll tell those guys to keep doing what you’ve been doing,” Gardenhire said. “There’s a reason you’ve been called up here.”

To post a comment please register or sign in